"Reach out to the Child"
As a result of the AIDS pandemic, there are thousands of orphaned children. In response to this, Lulisandla Kumntwana (LK) was set up to reach out and support orphans, vulnerable children and their families in Umhlabuyalingana & Big Five and Mbazwana in northern KwaZulu Natal. As Christians, we aim to share the love of Christ in response to the Biblical instruction to care for the poor and needy, in particular James Iv27:
"Religion that God our Father accepts as
Through the work of Lulisandla Kumntwana, more and more orphans are being given the chance to have a better quality of life.
1. To recruit, train and support teams of Christians from local churches who will regularly visit and minister to orphans and their carers practically, spiritually, emotionally and socially.
2. To encourage the spiritual development of team members from local churches through teaching and training in evangelism and discipleship.
3. To establish and run a fostering agency so as to be able to place children in foster care, or formalize such placements, by opening Court Enquiries, applying for foster grants, supervising placements, and applying for renewals
4. To offer orphans and vulnerable children psycho-social support.
5. To ensure orphans are able to access and benefit from education
7. To undertake youth work in order to develop the life skills and spiritual growth of youth in general, and orphans and vulnerable children in particular.
8. To mobilize the community in order to increase awareness of children’s rights and the needs of orphans.
9. To assist older orphans by helping them gain access to tertiary education, skills training and income generating activities.
10. To establish links and working relationships with other NGOs and Government Departments so as to work together in assisting orphans and vulnerable children.
11. To monitor and evaluate the project, and to undertake research into its effectiveness.
12. Lulisandla Kumntwana will not discriminate in the services rendered whether in terms of race, gender, colour, religion or political belief.
Area of operation
Lulisandla Kumntwana operates in the province of KwaZulu-Natal
Within KwaZulu-Natal, Lulisandla Kumntwana operates in the Municipal District of Umkhanyakude
The area served by Lulisandla Kumntwana is that covered by Mseleni Hospital – about 125kms long & 30kms wide with a population of about 95 000.
During the year 2010, 4153 orphans & vulnerable children received some kind of help from LK.